Facebook like any other social media outlet gives you the opportunity to make new friends, reconnect with old ones, and network with people from all over the world. As useful and entertaining it can be but also very annoying and frustrating if people don’t conduct themselves in a proper way. So whether you are on Facebook for personal or business reasons, here are some do’s and don’ts you can use if not already to help you attract the right people and cultivate a lasting relationship.
• Have a nice profile picture: It doesn’t have to be professional but something appealing and welcoming, people want to know who they are connecting with.
• Have a cover picture: It’s a great way to creatively express yourself either personally or professionally for example: you can advertise your business by displaying your logo, book cover if you are an author, CD cover if you are a musician or anything interesting.
• Have a short bio: Don’t leave the “about” section blank, a little about yourself or your business will help you stand out.
• Post something interesting and positive at least twice a day.
• Share your testimony
• Post related comments under friends’ posts
• Be selective in your friend requests
• After accepting a friend request, send a brief thank you note.
• Only share posts that are useful, informative and reflective of who you are or your business
• Before PM (private message) someone, check out their profile first so you’ll have an idea to whom you are talking to.
• When doing a friend suggestion, let both parties know beforehand and tell them why you think connecting them is a good idea.
• Be social: remember it’s social media, be engaged, be friendly and have fun.
• Don’t complain, gossip and attack other people continuously
• Don’t tag yourself on a friend’s picture that you are not in
• Don’t share someone else’s personal picture without his/her permission
• If you PM (private message) someone twice or three times, they don’t answer, leave it there.
• Don’t force yourself, your belief or your business on anyone.
• Don’t be rude and nasty
• Don’t video call anybody without permission.